his article is part of our new Future of Events 2021 Series which will interview a mix of event organizers, consultants, thought leaders, and other event professionals responsible for overseeing events put on by their organization. Our goal with this series is to help event organizers best prepare for the future of events.
The following is an interview we recently had with Kathryn Frankson, Director of Event Marketing, Informa.
What are the top trends that will shape the events space in 2021?
- Smaller, more curated events will get the respect they deserve.
- Marketing will continue to level up because the standard cadence of announcements doesn’t hold the competitive advantage or garner the results it once did.
- Virtual will continue to be a go-to strategy for niche, audience events that delight.
- Event organizers will design events around creating together, not just learning together.
- We won’t rely on generalized FOMO or the idea of “meeting at the hotel bar” as drivers of attendance but rather, we’ll lean into true community building and develop valuable experiences that cater to our audiences in more inclusive, creative ways.
- We will use the data that virtual and hybrid events offer to improve programming, customization and design in an agile, less annualized way.